Below is an outline brief of what functions the public expect from the Uganda national Meteorological Authority;
- Provision of meteorological and climatological services to weather dependant sectors such as agriculture, forestry, water resources management, civil aviation, marine and the private sector including industry, commerce and public utilities for the better exploitation and utilization of natural resources for national development;
- Provision of tailored meteorological services to the aviation industry for the safety of the civil aviation operations in accordance to WMO and ICAO recommendations.
- Organization and administration of surface and upper air meteorological observations within our area of responsibility (Uganda geographical boundaries) and the publication of all relevant Climatological data;
- Maintenance of an efficient telecommunications system for rapid collection and dissemination of meteorological information required for national and international use in accordance with the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) procedures;
- Co-ordination of research in the fields of meteorology and climatology including co-operation with other authorities in all aspects of applied meteorological research and the maintenance of the National Meteorological Library;
Evolvement of suitable training programmes in all fields of meteorology and other related scientific subjects which are relevant to the development of Uganda and other countries that may participate in the UNMA’s training activities.