The Applied Meteorology , Data and Climate Services Directorate is headed by a Director, who reports directly to the Executive Director.
The main functions of the Directorate are:
- To prepare the National Climatological, Agro-meteorological, hydro-meteorological and environmental data bank;
- To provide general and user specific agro-meteorological and hydro-meteorological bulletins to various users;
- To liaise and provide technical support to various users of agro-meteorological and hydro-meteorological information and to foster collaboration on environmental issues with other authorized government departments and other related institutions.
- To carry-out research in climate variability, climate change, interaction of weather to humans, plants, soils, livestock, environment etc;
- To collaborate with the Food Security Department in the monitoring of agricultural conditions for purposes of early warnings on the food situation in the country.
- To collaborate with the Disaster Management Department of the Prime Minister’s Office on issues of National Emergency Response.